Tuesday, January 25, 2011

An evolving business

I started my career in Information Technology and went from programming software, to planning data centres and networks.  In managing data centres, I learned that effective operational processes were critical to delivering consistent quality services.
As a consultant for 13 years, I started by improving IT processes in large data centres as The IT Process Doctor, to working with smaller businesses who were not getting value from their IT investments, as The Virtual CIO.
In my previous Blog entries, I blogged about IT.
Recently, I found my true passion, helping small businesses to operate more successfully, by eliminating the complexity in their business, so that they can improve productivity and eliminate many of the frustrations that they encounter in the activities that we all must do to success in business.
The approach to simplifying a business is rooted in simplifying operations through the development of consistent processes that continue to deliver day after day.
Every person who becomes adept at any skill operates on a subconscious basis.  The more you have to think about an activity, the slower you are.  The more you operate at a subconscious level, the more productive you are.  If we simplify activities, people can move more quickly to a subconscious level.
That's why change causes so much disruption.  When you change a set of activities, you have to think about what you are doing, and you slow down.  This can be extremely frustrating when you have to be really productive.
Over the next few weeks, I will be blogging about approaches and ideas to help small businesses improve their performance.

No comments: