Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Does Software make you feel like a victim?

When business owners look at software, they are looking for solutions to their business problems. The software supplier describes the benefits in specific detail and often will describe how others are getting great business value from the software. You're sold. You buy the software.

If the solution was as good as you were told, then why are so many people frustrated by the experience?

There are the techies of course/ They enjoy the challenge of digging into a software product and seeing how it works. The more difficult it is to find, the more they enjoy it. But the people who enjoy it are a very small part of the population. The rest of us live with the consequences.

I have a long background in software. I've done software development. I've done software support. I've managed technical staff in mainframe hardware and software, as well as PCs and servers. I've managed staff in voice and data communications.

In all of these jobs, I've often found challenges in getting the results that I was looking for. I enjoyed the challenge of developing the solution, but often been frustrated by the experience. The software is seldom written for the average person. It is written by techies for techies. That why the average person is frustrated and feels like a victim.

I've developed a solution that has worked for me, in overcoming the frustration, the technobabble and working effectively with technical staff.

The are 5 simple steps to achieving business outcomes from business software. But first, you have to make a decision. Do you want to remain a victim?

No comments: